How long is Queue?

Mostly what people are getting are the boxes, not the actual frames. As far as the frames go they have been reassuring that they are being sent out as they were ordered/pledged. There was a slight delay so most everyone in the December delivery group got pushed back a couple of weeks into January. So you should be seeing them soon.

Nice video, Marty. I would be very interested to hear how well the boxes from BeeThinking match the Flow hive. My suspicion is that they will be a very close match. I already have boxes from BeeThinking (great company to deal with), but my Flow hive wonā€™t arrive until February.

Enjoy building and dipping them!

Dawn

P.S. Suggest you leave out the observation windows until after you have dipped! :exclamation:

Yes, I will leave out the window and any other parts I can dip Separately I will. I actually thought about having everything dipped 1st before putting it together so that the joints are covered well also. Have not made that decision yet. Need to get in contact with a guy that does this and ask his opinion as well.

Great idea to ask the guy who does the dipping. I havenā€™t dipped, but I have assembled a lot of hive boxes. I would think that there may be a few advantages to assembling before dipping:

1. The corner finger joints can be tight, wax on them may make them tighter, and you might get some additional splintering
  2. Although the dip doesnā€™t leave a thick coat, it may help to seal any gaps in the corners if the boxes are assembled
  3. If they are already assembled, you wonā€™t scratch or scrape the coating with your screwdriver/drill while you are putting them together.

Wish I could dip mine, I am quite jealous (in a good way!) :smile:

Dawn

My frames had a Oct est ship, My wooden hive est date was Nov. The wooden hive box shipped Nov 23. So we wait, and wait for our first order (7 Flow Frames) that was place on Feb 23. When the last email said give it another 72. We just assumed there would be a change or a tracking number. After waiting this long, what is another week!

He just replied to me, he said they should be assembled becouse the glue will not stick to them after it as been dipped in wax. Not sure if the instructions call for glue or not

With the mount and type of screws, Iā€™m sure gluing is not necessary.

If you ever want to replace parts or disassemble, glueing is a no no

That is another good point! I have never used, or needed glue, except to repair parts which broke or splintered slightly in shipping. Another thought is that you can see from youtube videos, dipping is somewhat of a pain, because the wood floats on the wax. If you give him 20 or so loose parts to dip, it is going to be a lot harder to hold those under the wax surface than 2 boxes, a bottom board and a lid.

On another note, it will be interesting to see what happens to the bottom board screen in the wax - may or may not need a bit of cleaning up afterwards! Please do let us know how it all goes, this is SO fascinating! :slight_smile:

Just FYI, Cedarā€™s video of assembly does not show him using glue. Just screws, a screwdriver, a right-angle square tool and a wood clamp to hold the pieces square while he fastened the screws.

Dawn

I almost hate to put a link of this one in, for it is a 45 minute video of me assembling three boxes. The last five minutes of this video and the sped up version is the exact same thing of me just walking around the boxes with them complete and the roof on. So you could just go to the end if you would like to see.

45min version, normal speed

6 min vision, fast forward vision

2 Likes

Thanks for the video Marty, and good luck with your Flow Hive.:grinning: Cheers Tim.

Gā€™day Marty, Iā€™m in a sub-tropical zone, if you were in a similar climate to me, Iā€™d suggest you space the frames out evenly. Iā€™m recommending that to other flow beekeepers in my area who ask my advice. If you space the frames out evenly from the start, the bees will put propolis around the frame ends, making it easier when replacing the frames next time. The spacing youā€™ll have is the exact spacing I have when using 9 frames in 10 frame boxes which Iā€™ve been successfully doing for the past 28 years. I put a video on another thread that might give you something to consider in relation to the viewing window, cheers

In my video I made comment that the door to the flow hive was a bit tight. A little sandpaper took care of it all it now works perfectly. Took Sandpaper to the entire hive body, All edges are smooth. Now no splintering, Well I hope

Enjoyed the unboxing and the time-lapse assembly, Marty. Good camera work!!!

I am most curious about the odd size of the boxes, though. Langstroth Hives are pretty standardized, frame wise. The fact your Flow holds 9 instead of 8 frames has me a bit curious.

You do not want to manually, randomly space those frames. Bees need only a specific distance between frames, called ā€œbee space,ā€ which is basically just enough to move around it.
Too much, as manually spacing them as you have done will create, causes them to often make burr comb to utilize the space, and there goes any reasonable hive maintenance, as you will be fighting the girls every inch of the way to keep the comb in the frames, straight and even.

I am hoping someone from Flow will check in and tell us what is up with the odd size.
American Langstroth Hive sizes were supposed to be used for the units here in NA, as far as I knewā€¦
~M

Marty, would you please post the dimensions of your Flow Hive boxes? Everything Iā€™m reading states that your boxes should fit a Langstroth 8 frame hive. Perhaps they sent you tiny frames?
~M

@Moz_Empire there will be a bit of give in the box. Nine fit but would be too tight once the bees draw out the combs. I have tried both 6 Flow and 8 Normal Langs in the box TBH the Flows are a little tight but fit with a jiggle

Did you see Martyā€™s vid? It looks like more than ā€œa bitā€ of give. 8 frames left far too much ā€œgiveā€ to look correct.
That is why I am asking him for the box dimension measurements.

That should remove any doubts or questions regarding sizes and give.
~M

Sorry I must admit I skimmed the video as I have already made my boxes

Just got back from dinner, I will messure and video it in the morning and post

9 frames fit with eaz and a bit of room to spair

Enjoy dinner, not to worry, no hurry

As a reference for your vid, from Michael Bush, on the Bee Source Forums,

ā€œThere are two ā€œstandardā€ widths of eight frame hives. One would be 12 1/4ā€ inside. The other would be 12 1/2" inside.
All Langstroth hives are supposed to be 18 3/8" inside for length. The frame rabbets should be 3/8" wide and 5/8" deep."
ā€œThe span across the rabbets is 19 1/8ā€ and the top bars on frames are 19". This gives you 1/8" (Ā± 1/16") for the frame to fit in without it falling off of the frame rest rabbet."

The depth should be 9 5/8" deep inside diameter.

And Mr. Bush solves the dilemma here:

~M

I ordered mine on March 7th, Still waiting on my order was suppose to be December 2015.