New to the Forum? Introduce yourself!

This might be easier?

2 Likes

I think @Eva has nailed the problem so if you reverse the roof you will be able to move the arm into the vertical position. Thanks Eva for the help.
Cheers

3 Likes

@Suses70 @Peter48 @Evaā€¦ ok you guysā€¦ I did dismount the roofā€¦ to see what the hell i did wrong ! something is wrong and I canā€™t understand whatā€¦when I put the roof on top is coming down too far
too lowā€¦ and I am sending you a pix to seeā€¦ ! I think the top roof was mounted the right way ( I think ā€¦ but at this point I am not sure )!
It gives me the impression that the inside of the roof is too big and is coming down to much ā€¦ Here are the measurement ā€¦
inside length cm 50,5 x width 35,5
Practically is covering up the opening on top where you normally open up to get the honey out !

The large triangle of the roof should be on this sideā€¦ but by turning it the other way around the problem is the same ! Ohhh goshā€¦ what stressā€¦
Thank you for your helpā€¦

Helene, Helene, Helene, what are we going to do with you? :rofl:
Ok, the last photo there of is the back of the hive and the large triangle (gable) should be at the front of the hive.
With the roof upside down the inner cover should fit into the roof touching the bottom of the shingles making it the same height as the small gable on the roof. If it doesnā€™t fit take a pic in the position.
Hope this works and you have a happy new year. :grin:

2 Likes

Hi Peter, I finished up with 6 good boxes of honey. Itā€™s most Iā€™ve seen for a long time. Plus thereā€™s a lot of honey not quite ready to take. A lot of that will be ready in a fortnight. Itā€™s fair to say that things are picking up down here.

Iā€™ll stop selling nucs for the mean time so that I can let my colonies build up again. A bloke came the other day from Caboolture to pick up two nucs. He went home empty handed because I didnā€™t have enough bees to his liking. He wasnā€™t interested in the new queenā€™s laying pattern or anything like that. He just wanted MORE BEES. I probably could have given him an old queen with more bees, he would have been happy. I didnā€™t say one word to try to change his mind because the two queens I would have given him are real rippers & Iā€™m happier to keep them. One in particular is an egg laying machine.

We had a nice shower this morning. I finished extracting before lunch. I just have to tidy up now.
cheers

So Jeff, what he really wanted was all the bees from a complete at the price of a nuc. :thinking: Mate you canā€™t please everyone, If your nucs werenā€™t up to your high standards then I know you wouldnā€™t sell them at any price.
Glad to hear you had a shower, it sure didnā€™t get up here. It is hot and humid but no sign of any rain.
I was out my hives this morning and found a few hives doing much better than others that are really struggling, the larger colonies are doing the best but overall it is a worry and I can see more hives needing feeding soon. Iā€™m figuring the loss of foraging because of the bush fires and the lack of rain so no nectar is the issue.
Cheers

Hi Pete, the first colony I opened up was a bit low on numbers, however strong enough to cope with the 4 good frames of brood I was going to include, which would have really ended up a strong nuc within a week. I was in the process of seeing which brood frames I was going to include & which frames I was going to replace. Then he started say "no, no, no, no. I said ā€œfair enoughā€. The frame of brood I was looking at while he started saying no was a beauty, I thought he was saying no to that. Iā€™m glad I didnā€™t open up the colony with the outstanding queen first, because it was full of bees. He would have been saying ā€œyes, yes, yes,ā€ He reckons he runs 20 hives & is having trouble buying good new queens. He walked away from what I reckoned was 2 good queens.

He didnā€™t put much effort into finding a queen Ken Bannister at Beerwah has Italian and Carnie queens and had he asked at Burnettā€™s at Caboolture Jo would have given him the phone number. Some people you just canā€™t help mate. When you see frames of brood and canā€™t see an asset in a week then, well, you know what Iā€™m thinking.
Cheers

1 Like

@Peter48 @skeggley @Eva. @Suses70 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Thank you so much for help. You are all rightā€¦ I made it !! I also finished putting together the brood framesā€¦ The FH 2 is finish !! Canā€™t believe it ! Thank you a lot ! kiss kiss :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

5 Likes

Its been fun though, stretching those brain cells.
All the very best in the new year.
We will want a blow by blow progress on your bees.
Cheers S

2 Likes

Helping folks like you out with advice is something we enjoy doing. We were all beginners once. Iā€™m pleased you have it all sorted out now and in the Spring you can get a bee colony and get involved in this great hobby.
Happy New Year.
Cheers

2 Likes

When you canā€™t translate something all you need do is ask for us to word it another way, just a part of helping you out.
Cheers

1 Like

Thank you all for helping me out.
Watching TVā€¦ is almost midnightā€¦ less 15 minuteā€¦ so they start with fire works and big bangs everywhereā€¦ my dog is terrify of themā€¦
Canā€™t wait to start my bee course on the 21 January, hope to have some good informations.
As far as placing the Hive I have to wait till some one of them come to see my gardenā€¦ is not so bigā€¦ I have only grass now as I just move here a few month ago, Will have to ask what are the small flowers that I can plant some whereā€¦ that I have some flowers around for the beesā€¦ then as I already wroteā€¦ i live in the country side with just corn field aroundā€¦ donā€™t know where they will find flowers aroundā€¦ :crossed_fingers:
Hope you all ad a good new years eve. Happy 2020 ! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

Hi we are Jude and Judd, 388 days with no Electricity, we started with no hot or cold running water in the house or the bathroom, no kitchen sink, no oven, our shower was outside under the stars, rain hail or lightning storms, we light the fire to cook our dinner, it heats the water for a hot shower and warms the house, our only source of water comes from the rain, we pray for rain, we are Off-Grid, no electricity no scheme water, no rubbish bin collection, no mail delivery, limited internet and phone service, we set up our Flow Hive Classic 10 Frame yesterday, wish us luck!

6 Likes

Hi Jude & Judd, congratulations on your alternative lifestyle. Having your own bees & harvesting your own honey is fantastic. I assume you also grow a lot of your own food which is also fantastic. Good luck with your hive & happy new year.
cheers

3 Likes

A big welcome to the forum where you will find heaps of reading and lot of folks happy to pass on advice.
Glad to read you have decided to go off the grid rather than being forced to because of the bush fires that have consumed so much of Australia since September in every state.
Good luck with your Flow Hive and look forward to updates as you learn about how to get the best for and from your bees.
Cheers

4 Likes

Happy New Year Helene! Folks more local to you would have the best planting advice, but I wanted to mention that bees do a lot of foraging in trees, on flowers that many people never notice. If you have maples, willows, locusts, fruit trees for example anywhere within about 3 to 5 miles of your place your bees will find them :deciduous_tree::bouquet::honeybee:

2 Likes

Hi Eva, happy New Year to you . I just moved in this area 3 month ago and so I donā€™t know what is around hereā€¦ I am still with moving boxes around as some of the room where not finishedā€¦ ( bathroom - Kitchen and floors)ā€¦:rage: so donā€™t have the time to go around and see the areaā€¦
( my daughter insisted that I had to move in the appt downstair at garden levelā€¦)ā€¦ but I am a little lostā€¦
I am coming from a very different green area 3 hrs away from hereā€¦
I think some houses in this area may have a few flower plant in there garden for the bees but from what I see is a flat country area where they use all of there land to grow hay and corn food for there cow for winterā€¦
I just hope they donate use pesticide on the corn plantā€¦
We have quite a big problems in the last few yrs with ( stinking bugs brown and green ) that are eating all tomatoes and lots of other plants ). farmers are quite upsetā€¦ and this bugs fly all over around gardensā€¦( coming from China in shipping containers ) !!!
I also have 8 earth Turtles and had a hard time finding there grass to feed themā€¦( dandelion plant ?? ) so I had to put seeds downā€¦
Where I use to live was planting of itā€¦
I see a few trees on the other side of the field of ( ?? Mulberry plant ) they may flower in the spring ? I hope so !
I start my bees school on the 21Ā° of January so I may learn a few thingsā€¦
I hope to meet someone that has bees in the areaā€¦ to ask questionsā€¦
Today I will go to the paint shop to see for the 100% Tung Oil to put on the outside of the hive and a natural paint to use on the roof for our cold winter and rain.
will let you knowā€¦
Have a nice day. and thank you for your help. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

Hi I am Helene1 and I live in the northern part of Italy. ( Brescia ) I am all new on bee keepingā€¦I just finished mounting my new Flow Hive 2. it was a Xā€™mas present from my daughter ā€¦ I will start my bee course on the 21 January 2020ā€¦ Hoping to learn the basic steps about bee keeping before my new adventure startsā€¦ then all the rest will come with the time and experience as you never learn enough about beesā€¦
I thank very much all the people in the forum that gave me so much help in the past few weeks on mounting my new FH2.

3 Likes