New to the Forum? Introduce yourself!

Hi @Peter48… I was quite busy in the last few days… had quite a few things going on.
I am making little design on the outside of the hive before putting oil on…
I am also painting the roof… need to give quite a few hands…and it takes some times…
Looking at your hive photo you send me… I see that you have some numbers written on the outside… Is this your registered number ?? Do you have to have it written on the outside ?

2 Likes

Hi Helene, yes in most states in Australia the hives have to be registered and your registration printed on the hive.

I wouldn’t bee too concerned about printing the registration number if the hive is just in your backyard, and not visible from outside your property. However registering your hive is a responsible thing to do.

2 Likes

Bees will always give you something to do and in no time you will spend you quiet periods helping out with a local bee keeper Bee keeping is so addictive.
The large number is the hive number that I use in my computer records. The small number beginning with ‘C’ is my hive registration number which is required by law on the brood box of every hive. I had a DPI(Dept of Primary Industries) friend visit my apiary and he pointed out that some boxes didn’t have my registration number on them which is an offense. I though that a bit petty as all the hives were in one apiary so should be assumed to all belong to me.
Cheers

1 Like

For some reason the pic I sent to you has been deleted from the link as being inappropriate for what ever reason, I’ll PM you and happy to email you more help if you like.
Cheers

1 Like

Hi Helene, I just realised that you are in Italy. The Australian code is therefore totally irrelevant to you. It is best to get advice about registration and hive branding from your local bee club. If you ask there or call a bee supply shop they will be able to give you more accurate information unless there are some Italian members here.

3 Likes

@oldplop, thank you for your reply- Yes I thought that it was a Hive registration number-
We also have to register our hives here in Italy but I don’t know any details as I am starting a Bee course on the 21 January . and for the moment I don’t know anything about bees yet.
I am looking at a lot of post to get info. I have one FH2 since December, and I am working on doing some little design on the outside, before putting the oil on the outside to protect the wood.

1 Like

Buongiorno Elena. Doing a bee course before you get the bees is a very smart thing to do. I was not prepared enough when I got my first bees some years ago, and I can write a book about all the mistakes I did. I wish you luck.
Arrivederci.

3 Likes

@oldplop, Ciao, yes I will start my bee course next Tuesday… as I wrote I don’t know anything about bees… but I am interested on learning !! I do have my new FH 2 x 6 cedar that I am working on the outside with some simple drawing to make it a little cute…before putting Tung Oil on the outside to protect the wood…
I am posting some photos…

1 Like

@Peter48 Yes Peter, where are the photos you have posted ? For us living outside Australia, every details on your hives are important to compare different laws from one country to another…
I see from different forums that lots of people are using other hives and not all FH so the fact that you posted photos of some different hives should not have been any problems.
Why you don’t ask them the reason they deleted your pix ? so you know !

I’ll give it another try for you Helene, I thought you had got it but it seems not so. I did ask and was told it might have been deleted by mistake. So to repeat and to answer your question
The most common roof in Australia is what we call a migratory roof which is a perfect fit to a Langstroth or a Flow Hive. They are available from any bee equipment suppliers. They have a tin roof cover so totally water proof and if you need to move a hive for some reason you can really ‘grunt down’ with an em-lock so the hive can’t slide about on itself. An em-lock is a strap, either plastic or metal, that goes completely around the hive and locks it all together as you will see in the photo as well. Hive #2 is a Flow Hive.
Cheers

3 Likes

Hi Peter. thank you for your photos. I understand better if I see the pix as very often when I just read English i don’t understand all the terms that you people use on the forum regarding bees and bee keepers… terms that I don’t even know in Italian , :rofl: :rofl:as I am just really learning now a few things… But I think I probably will never get to the end of this new adventure :woman_facepalming:
Just keep in mind that next Tuesday I will go to the opening class of my bee keeping course… and will see what will happen… ohhh god…

1 Like

@Peter48 Peter… I don’t really understand one thing… Ok I have one FH… but if i would like another brood box to have on the side on this FH ( in the future of corse…next year maybe ) …how do I do that ? I see that here in Europe with Flow EU I can buy a complete brood box but the roof they don’t have it to buy …! When I look at some video of FH I see that he has lots of brood boxes on the side of the big FH with the roof on top !

1 Like

Peter go and see the pix I posted of the little drawings I made on my FH… :honeybee: :honeybee:
( my FH is having a face lift )
Today I gave a first coat of the Tung oil… waiting to dry well before giving the 2° hands !

1 Like

Hi I am a beekeeper on Macleay Island in SEQ. I want to learn more about the details of working flow hives so I’m looking to connect with someone who would be willing to let me come and work with them for a day or two. I have a car at Redland Bay and I’m willing to travel a few hours if required. I have four colonies I work in my backyard and although this season has been very poor for honey things are picking up with the brown bloodwoods starting to flower. The rain we have received since Christmas eve means our biggest flow in July/August of iron barks and blue gums should be a good one!

1 Like

Hi Everyone, I am Jeff and I live in a beautiful coastal village just out of Hobart Tasmania,an island off the southern tip of mainland Australia.
My wife and I are absolute newbies & can’t wait to join the honey bee community.
We’re about to order our Flow Hive Bundle & are just taking our time to make the right selections whilst learning more about this exciting hobby. It’s quite a buzz :slight_smile:
Cheers for now.

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum Jeff. lots of nice folks here on the forum and to the wonderful hobby of bee keeping. But be careful, it is very addictive. :smiley:
Cheers

1 Like

Thanks for the warm welcome Peter. Seems we may have a connection…I noted from another message that you live in Coolum. I lived in Peregian Beach for about 30 years before moving down to Tassie. Our kids grew up there. I was involved in the sporting centre and actively set up the Swimming & Tennis clubs as well. I would love to catch up for a private chat. Any suggestions?
Cheers Jeff

I’ll PM you, unless you left Peregian beach in the last 2 months you wouldn’t recognize the damage done by the bush fires, From the Coolum High School round about to up past the Peregian hardware store has burnt out.
Cheers

Hi my name is Christina and I am from Adelaide, South Australia.
my Flow Hive Hybrid was delivered today! I am so excited to begin my bee keeping. I have registered my name with Pirsa. Just Ned my handyman husband to put it together, then my granddaughters are going to help with the painting!

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum and the exciting world of bees. Like me and most others you will find it a fast and steep learning curve. Don’t be shy about asking questions but remember some advice can be from totally different climates as this is a world wide forum.
Cheers Christina

1 Like