New to the Forum? Introduce yourself!

That hive has the disc round entrance, it has struggled since it was given to me, never gone backwards but never boomed either. It is a swarm collected from a banana tree a year ago so I might re-queen the hive and see how it goes then.
My hives are very calm even on the heat of a hot day so
I guess they are finding enough to get by on but I’m not expecting any sort of flow up here, I have missed the evening showers others have had.
Cheers

1 Like

Sorry Helene! It’s me who goofed - not familiar with the new design and i thought the mesh floor looked like a QE. Pay no attention to that answer :sweat_smile:

Thanks for setting it straight, Peter!

3 Likes

Hi darling, no problems !! You just got me into a panic state… non problems !! love you anyhow !

1 Like

S.O.S PLEASE ---- @Peter48 — OR ANYONE…
Regarding FH 2 Cedar wood-
I have a “” 1 x metal bracing strip " pg. 8 of instructions–

I have no idea where to install it !
Can anyone help me please ?
I am going on assembling the FH 2 — But I am alone and I think I am doing a pretty good job for on old lady…
Thank God I have a drill otherwise I will be with lots of blisters on my hand !!
Thank you for your help.
I will add some photos to show you at what point I am…

here is the metal bracing…

It sits across at the bottom if the end window on the bottom edge of the super of the piece you remove when you are going to do an extraction. In your picture if it was fitted you would see it. The two screw to hold it in place are in the kit.
Cheers

1 Like

@Peter48 I am so so so sorry… but i do not understand the explanation… I read it quite a few times…sorry.
Is the only piece that is left… all the FH is put together including the roof ( the inside I will do it tomorrow as it is many hrs that I am working on this thing ! )
I will dream of bees tonight !! :honeybee: :honeybee: :honeybee:
Peter, Maybe I need to see a photos if is not a problem for you… it would be better.
does it go somewhere on the top part ? I give up— :woman_facepalming:

Hi Helene, it is a bracing piece that goes on the bottom of the top box (super) to support the Flow frames and brace the box at the cut out.
***Notice the small cut out, or rebate on the bottom of the side panels that the strip sits in to keep the bottom of the box flat. :wink:

Hope this helps.

1 Like

Thank you so much @skeggley … I will go and see where I have to put that in …
I have to first take all the rest of the FH apart as I put it all up on top of each other on to see how it looks … I like it ! I must say that they are very well made.
I did it all today… tomorrow I will try to put together the inside of the brood box… I don’t know if I can do it alone… banging in nails… Thank’s again for your help.

2 Likes

@skeggley. @Peter48 Thank you so much !! Ohhh I did it … is in place. !!
I honestly would of never found it alone !!! IMG_0318|375x500

1 Like

@skeggley@Peter48 if you see the inside of my FH with the plastic windows ( and still the plastic stock on ) is ONLY to see how it fits… I only put 2 screws on to hold them in place… I will take them off when i am finish, so that i can put some oil on the outside to protect the wood… but no paint… it would be too bad to ruin the cedar wood. But as far as oil is concern… still have so much confusion… so many different opinions on the forum… and everyone has a good reason to think there oil or finish is better then others… so don’t know which one to use…??

Its your choice Helene, there is no right or wrong, all the finishes have their own pros and cons. My hives are either Tung oiled, water base and acrylic base painted or varnished and provided good beekeeping practices are maintained the bees don’t seem to mind either way.
Create your own piece of art. :blush:
The only important thing is to make sure the paint is dry before adding bees. :grin:

2 Likes

Thanks for helping Helene out with the diagram mate, appreciate the hep for her.
Cheers

1 Like

Check the perspex for the window, you might find a clear plastic film on each side and you need to remove that before you fix the window in place.
Tung oil seems the most popular if you want a natural timber finish for the hive. I have used clear marine varnish on some out doors furniture but it needs redoing every couple of years. My hives are painted white to keep them as cool as possible.
Cheers

1 Like

@Peter48 @skeggley Thank you so much for your help- The metal braket is in place-
This afternoon I will try to put the Brood frames together.
Here is a sunny day… but during the night whent down to 0 degree C. and this morning was all white and frozen.
Have a nice day ! :kissing_heart:

1 Like

I’m pleased it is all going well for you, 22c last night and 34 today, really a nice temperatur to work on my hives in a bee suit.
Cheers

1 Like

@Peter48 enjoy your bees, and thank you again ! :honeybee: :honeybee:

1 Like

Hi @Peter48… sorry…bare with me… I think i surely made a mistake some where…
You know the Latch that you turn to keep in place the rear window ??
Well I put 1 spring into the screw before screwing it into the wall…
:woman_facepalming: :woman_facepalming: but after putting the roof on top I can’t turn it anymore because hits under the roof…is no space… what i did wrong ? The roof is been put together the correct way… I also put the inner cover under but does not help at all…

Hi Helene, Eva will try to give good advice this time - could you be trying to put the roof on back-to-front? On my Flow classic original the roof can only
fit properly if the Flow emblem is in front, because there’s a cutout in back to allow room for the latch piece to keep the rear window cover on.

4 Likes

Helene, l have the spring on the outside…so screw, spring , latch.
Hope this some help. S

1 Like